I heard the phrase recently in the video by “kidpresident” and something about it sparked the idea for a little weekend experiment.
You gotta love the kid’s frankness about choosing the road less traveled…and it HURT =) Love his facial expressions!
Part of our plan to re-feather our empty nest was to travel more. But, we already have sort found ourselves in a rut. We plan a vacation. We go. We come home. And then we get into our mode of the everyday “routine” .
So this weekend I had one of my “wild ideas”. How about we just get in the car and drive to the country? There is something very liberating to just drive out of the city and get away from the hustle and bustle and tail lights.
We headed north. To throw a little twist to the plan, I also placed another stipulation on our day trip.
We had to experience 5 new things that we had never done in our life.
YIKES. Hubby even said that was a pretty steep goal for such a short amount of time.
It took some creativity…
But here is our list of “5 New Experiences”.
1. We ate lunch at a little cafe that we have heard some folks talk about. It’s not close to our house so we decided to head up there to eat. Thank you Fuzzy’s Taco Shop for some yummo fish tacos!
2. We went and shopped in a little town we had never visited before. This was a little town. One blinky lite on the town square. One shop open.
3. After leaving the little town, instead of going back up to the highway we ventured off down the country roads. We found ourselves traveling deep in the heartland. Wow. Texas continues to amaze me on how BIG it is!
4. As we headed home, we went and drove around a section of neighboring city that is dear to our hearts as it’s where we spent our honeymoon 28 years ago. We got to experience sitting at the rail lines and watch the commuter train at night. There is something so lonely yet peaceful about a train whistle blowing at night.
5. Our final venturing back to familiar territory found us traveling down the highway towards home and we realized we were traveling on a newly opened section of highway that we had not traveled yet.
Ok. It wasn’t too exciting on the spectrum of THRILL. It’s not like we went rock climbing, or parachuted out of airplanes, or went deep sea diving off a remote island in the sea.
But for us two “old” birds, we ventured off our usual “road” and took the scenic route which led to some experiences we had never enjoyed before. We took time to be grateful for the small things and to enjoy some simple pleasures.
For us, we took the road less traveled.
And it was good….
For your literary enjoyment, here is Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken”.
The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
I encourage you to seize the new opportunities that await you now that you are living in your empty nest. Determine in your heart that you will experience new things! Enjoy life! Love the Moment and Live the Day! And never forget to be grateful for the small things.
If I was able to help you in any way please join my mailing list. I promise not to send you endless spam. I will always strive to only send you something that I feel will build you up and help you on your journey. I am currently developing some new products and would love to be able to make you one of the first to hear about them! The newsletter sign up is at the top right of the screen.